Know the signs
The signs that you may not be gambling safely
Some of the signs which can mean gambling is having more of a negative impact on your life than a positive one include:
- Spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford
- Finding it hard to manage or stop your gambling
- Having arguments with family or friends about money and gambling
- Losing interest in usual activities or hobbies, like going out or spending time with friends or family
- Always thinking or talking about gambling
- Lying about your gambling or hiding it from other people
- Chasing your losses or gambling to get out of financial trouble
- Gambling until all your money is gone
- Borrowing money, selling possessions or not paying bills in order to pay for gambling
- Needing to gamble with larger amounts of money or for a longer time to get the same feeling of excitement or 'buzz'
- Neglecting work, school, family, personal needs or household responsibilities because of gambling
- Feeling anxious, worried, guilty, depressed or irritable
If any of these sound familiar, you can have a free and confidential chat with an Adviser at GamCare:
- By telephone FREE on 0808 8020 133
- By online web chat at: GamCare.org.uk/get-support/talk-to-us-now/
GamCare offer free, confidential information, advice and support for anyone who is worried about or affected by a gambling problem.
This service is also available to you if you are concerned about someone else’s gambling.
The team will be able to listen to what’s going on for you and talk you through all the options available to you for support, either online, over the phone or in your local area.
A free workbook is also available for anyone who would like to change their relationship with gambling: Working at your own pace
GamCare also operate an online Forum and daily chatrooms where you can connect to others in similar situations to share your experience, find help and support others. Visit www.gamcare.org.uk
for more information.