If you think you are spending too much time or money gambling then asking a gambling provider to exclude you from gambling with them for a while can be a useful way to help you manage your gambling.
The process is called self-exclusion
and it lasts a minimum of six months. It is used by people who want help to manage their gambling activity.
All licensed gambling venues and online gambling operators in the UK operate a self-exclusion scheme. It is now possible to self-exclude from more than one place at a time, making the process of self-exclusion much easier.
Arcades, betting shops, bingo venues, casinos and online gambling companies all run self-exclusion schemes. You can self-exclude from venues by opting into the relevant self-exclusion scheme.
Key Features of Self-exclusion Schemes
- You will be excluded for a minimum of six months (twelve months for betting shops)
- You will have to supply proof fo identity including a photo or undergo an automated identity chek
- You will be removed form all marketing databases and you will not be contacted during the period of your self-exclusion (except with regard to the online multi-operator scheme)
- You cannot leave the scheme before the exclusion period has expired
- If you leave the scheme once the self-exclusion period has expired you will not automatically be added to any marketing databases
By joining self-exclusion schemes you are agreeing that:
- the information you provide to join a scheme will only be shared with operators within the specific scheme
- you will stay away from the venues from which you have self-excluded
It is up to you to keep your self-exclusion agreement but the company and the staff will do all they reasonably can to help you. If you visit a venue from which you have self-excluded you will be asked to leave and the other venues in the scheme will be informed.
How The Schemes Work
Bingo and Casinos
Bingo and casino companies each operate their own national self-exclusion schemes whereby with one application you can self-exclude from all venues in the scheme. Click the links below to find out more:
Arcades and Betting Shops
Arcades and betting shops operate their own local area schemes in which you nominate the arcades or betting shops you wish to self-exclude from. These are usually identified by you as those that are close to your home, your work or other activities.Click the links below to find out more about their self-exclusion schemes:
If you gamble online and would like to self-exclude from an online (remote) gambling company then you can sign up with GamStop www.gamstop.co.uk
. You can also still self-exclude from individual companies by contacting them directly.